Inspired by Tania Katan from her book Creative Trespassing.
A To Don’t list for the School Year:
- Spend more time in the office, at my desk, answering emails or completing administrative tasks.
- Instantly judge a student, assume that I know exactly what the problem is and how I can “fix” it.
- Respond without listening and understanding first.
- Read from bulleted slides during staff meetings.
- Dedicate my energy to too many projects, initiatives, and tasks – without focus.
- Stick to traditions simply for the sake of sticking to traditions.
- Complain about a problem without proposing a solution.
- Assume that I know better because of my position or title.
- Force students to adhere to rules or expectations simply for the sake of compliance.
- Use data to make a decision without considering the whole story behind the data.
What’s on your To Don’t List for this school year?