Ten Things I Wish Teachers Knew
- Joyful engagement is the ultimate goal.
- Listen more than you talk.
- Quiet classrooms are not often a sign of robust learning.
- Talking (or in fancy teacher talk, conferring) with students about their work (and lives) is the most important thing you can do.
- You and your students can have bad days at school.
- If you are doing things that you have done for years, there usually is a better way to do them. Look for it. Change it.
- Teachers should be innovators in education.
- Real learning is fun.
- Share your passions.
- Know and hold onto your ideals. You won’t always meet them but if you don’t have them in the forefront of your teaching, your student’s learning will be way short of ideal.