I was recently asked what 10 things I wish teachers knew by a friend looking to share the answer with undergrad teaching candidates. So, here is my list:
- The culture of the classroom MUST come first.
- Teacher desks are overrated. Give up the desk and save the space for students.
- Time should be dedicated to what’s important in your classroom.
- Our future lies in letting students create. FOCUS on creativity!
- Spend time in designing the layout of your classroom. Let students be involved so it is as much theirs as it is yours.
- Remember that students are always watching and listening. Model the behaviors that you expect to see from students.
- Relationships are extremely important. Get to know your students. Let them know that you care.
- No matter what goes wrong today, tomorrow is always a better day. Start fresh and allow each student to start fresh!
- The best thing that you can do for students is to be prepared for every lesson!
- Remember that you don’t teach content, you teach students.